Sebastian Vettel continued his dominance at Circuit of the Americas as he stormed to pole position in today's qualifying session. Lewis Hamilton got most out of the McLaren to qualify in 2nd place; his laptime of 1:37.766 was a tenth of a second slower than Vettel's 1:35.657.
Mark Webber failed to catch them in the qualifying session which was a two horse fight between Vettel and Alonso. He starts the race from 3rd place. Romain Grosjean looked strong in the final leg of qualifying, topping the session earlier and qualifying in 4th place. However, the Frenchman will have to start the race from 9th place following a gearbox change to his Lotus.
Abu Dhabi Grand Prix winner Kimi Raikkonen was marginally slower than his teammate as he qualified in 5th place. Miachel Schumacher made into Q3 this time around in Austin and qualified in 6th place ahead of his former teammate Felipe Massa. Nico Hulkenberg looked impressive as he qualified in 8th place with a lap time of 1m37.141s.
Alonso suffered from rear end stability problems throughout the qualifying session and could only qualify in 9th place. His lap time of 1m 37.842s was half a second slower than his teammate and 2 seconds slower than Vettel's pole time. He will gain one place on the grid thanks to Grosjean's penalty.
Pastor Maldonado rounded off the top.
Earlier in Q2, Button slowed down severely due to a power failure. This problem is similar to what he had in Italy this year where he retired from 2nd place. He will start the race from 12th place.
In Q1, Karthikeyan stopped mysteriously on the track bringing out the yellow flags with 2 minutes to go in the session. This created problems for Rosberg who was in the drop out zone. However, the German managed to make it into Q2.
01. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull-Renault 1m35.657
02. Lewis Hamilton McLaren-Mercedes 1m35.766
03. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m36.174
04. Romain Grosjean Lotus-Renault 1m36.587
05. Kimi Raikkonen Lotus-Renault 1m36.708
06. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1m36.794
07. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1m36.937
08. Nico Hulkenberg Force India-Mercedes 1m37.141
09. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m37.300
10. Pastor Maldonado Williams-Renault 1m37.842
11. Bruno Senna Williams-Renault 1m37.604
12. Jenson Button McLaren-Mercedes 1m37.616
13. Paul di Resta Force India-Mercedes 1m37.665
14. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m37.879
15. Sergio Perez Sauber-Ferrari 1m38.206
16. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m38.437
17. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m38.501
18. Daniel Ricciardo Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m39.114
19. Timo Glock Marussia-Cosworth 1m40.056
20. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1m40.664
21. Vitaly Petrov Caterham-Renault 1m40.809
22. Heikki Kovalainen Caterham-Renault 1m41.166
23. Pedro de la Rosa HRT-Cosworth 1m42.011
24. Narain Karthikeyan HRT-Cosworth 1m42.740