Fernando Alonso set the fastest lap time of the day after rain limited teams running in the afternoon session. Alonso posted a lap time of 1m22.444s in the morning session, a second faster than Red Bull's Mark Webber.
“It’s a shame about the rain, which complicated the running of this first day of testing and a shame for the spectators " said the Spaniard.
The track initially was a little wet in the morning due to rain but slowly dried and teams switched to slicks in latter part of the ession. However, rain was back in the afternoon and teams preferred to sit in the garage instead of wasting limited sets of tyres allocated by Pirelli for testing.
Webber's Red Bull was covered with sensors as the team evaluated the sidepod configuration it used in Bahrain. The Australian was two tenths ahead of Vergne in the sister Red Bull team with a lap time of 1m23.648s. Jerome D'Ambrosio had a solid day with Lotus as he was fourth fastest, just 0.052 seconds ahead of Rosberg.
Kobayashi was 6th fastest for Sauber ahead of Oliver Twist(McLaren) and Bianchi(Force India), Gonzalez(Caterham) and Pic(Marussia). Paffett and Schumacher did 4 and 5 laps respectively in the wet afternoon session, with the former setting a lap time of 1m50.898s. Schumacher failed to set a timed lap.
Vergne and Rosberg brought one red flag each during the morning session.
01. Fernando Alonso Ferrari 1m22.444
02. Mark Webber Red Bull-Renault 1m23.648 + 1.204
03. Jean-Eric Vergne Toro Rosso-Ferrari 1m23.891 + 1.447
04. Jerome d'Ambrosio Lotus-Renault 1m24.048 + 1.604
05. Nico Rosberg Mercedes 1m24.100 + 1.656
06. Kamui Kobayashi Sauber-Ferrari 1m24.736 + 2.292
07. Oliver Turvey McLaren-Mercedes 1m25.303 + 2.859
08. Jules Bianchi Force India-Mercedes 1m25.475 + 3.031
09. Rodolfo Gonzalez Caterham-Renault 1m27.197 + 4.753
10. Charles Pic Marussia-Cosworth 1m27.359 + 4.915
11. Valtteri Bottas Williams-Renault 1m29.179 + 6.735
12. Gary Paffett McLaren-Mercedes 1m50.898 + 28.454
13. Michael Schumacher Mercedes No time